Sunday, March 9, 2008

Ski Trip

This weekend Mitch and I went up to Blue Haven to go skiing with his parents. This trip was practice for the ski retreat we have coming up next weekend. We wanted to be sure Jacey would handle everything ok. (She was absolutely wonderful.) The snow was amazing. I have usually had to ski on some ice, but this weekend there was just packed powder. I actually made it the whole morning without falling - a miracle in itself. For the first time I was enjoying myself, not tense or struggling. Then we decided to go to the top of the mountain. On a ski lift.

I hate ski lifts. I always have. It's so hard to get on and off of them. And this lift had my number. As we reached the very top of the mountain, my skis got tangled up somehow and I twisted my knee. As a result I ended up going down the mountain with the ski patrol (it would've been more fun if I weren't hurt) and heading to a local clinic. At the clinic they took X-rays and apparently I pulled my MCL so hard it chipped the bone. They couldn't tell what else had happened, but gave me a semi-cast and told me to call a doctor on Monday.

Results of my injury:
I cannot walk w/o crutches, take a shower without my husband helping, change my clothes, or carry or pick up Jacey (this includes putting her in bed from my rocker, which is maybe 5 feet away from the crib).
My mom came as soon as she could and has now done 3 loads of laundry, washed the dishes, run the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen, changed her sheets, made dinner, and given Jacey a bath. She got here about 6 hours ago.
I have to stay on the couch while everyone gets me anything I want.

Some positives, some negatives. We go to the doctor tomorrow hopefully, and then I'll know for sure what needs to happen. I know I'll need surgery, but I don't know how extensive. I'm concerned about my ability to continue nursing, so prayers for that would be appreciated. I'm in less pain today, which I hope is a good sign. I don't even need m prescripton pain meds, just good ole advil. Your prayers for me this week would be appreciated. :)

And for everyone who is wondering, Mitch is a very excellent nurse.

5 comments:

Tyler said...

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I'm even more sorry that Mitch makes an excellent nurse. :-)

Hope the appointment goes well tomorrow. Keep us updated!

Harmony said...

I'm so sorry also about you getting hurt. Keep us updated. I hope it will be a quick recovery.

Kelly said...

I'm glad your mom is able to help out with everything. We'll be praying for you. Keep us posted.

Charlotte said...

like I said you didnt have to fall off a ski lift to get mom to come visit.. i mean really!!! gosh katie so selfish!

im just playin! we always manage to get hurt and we never have a good story... you should make up one! I think I could help!

You are in my prayers as well as in my friends prayers! So no worries.. Im sure God has something planned for you! =)

nurse mitch-elle!... hahahaha

Kristina said...

Oh Katie. I'm so sorry you got hurt! That is no fun at all!! I'm glad your mom was able to come and that you've got a good hubby to take care of you! Good luck at the doctor. I'll be praying for you!